Sunday, February 27, 2005

I am Sam v/s Black

In the celebration of end of mid-sems, I saw many many movies, but the only 2 actually worth watching were "I am Sam" and "Black". Both dealt with similar themes : 'I am Sam' is about the life of a mentally retarded person, and whether he is capable of taking care of his daughter, while 'Black' is about the life of a deaf-dumb girl, and her teacher.

Similar themes, both quite nice. But somehow Sanjay Leela Bhansali seemed like he was trying too hard. The cinematography, the angles, the way Rani walked, the bent head of Amitabh, the snow falling. Every scene seemed calculated to make the tears fall, which they did. Almost every one in the theatre was crying - guys included :).

'I am Sam' on the other hand, didn't try so hard, and hence seemed more believable. It was just a simple story, and if it touched my heart and the tears fell, that was just incidental. I didn't even agree with the basic theme of the movie - I don't really think that a mentally retarted person can be entrusted with a kid, even if the kid is his daughter and he loves her v much and all that jazz. But I could see the love on the screen - I could relate to it.

While 'Black' was good, 'I am Sam' was brilliant. Hindi cinema is moving ahead, but we still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment