Saturday, April 16, 2005

MEMS

Just gave my first endsem - MEMS - which is Micro Electro Mechanical Structures.
It was an institute elective - which means that I had to take a non-CSE course, and I took this one cause it was the easiest, and my 4 CSE anyways too heavy and too tough.

So I didnt attend any lectures through the semester, and ofcourse had absolutely no idea what MEMS is.
The instructor Prof Apte makes the audio of his lectures avaliable online, so that students who have missed a lecture can cover up by listening to them.

So over the past 2 days, 8 of us girls in my hostel room, listened to 18 1.5-hour lectures one after the other. Bulk & surface micromachining, MEMS based sensors, fabrication... blah blah.

ALl of us didnt sleep, the lectures went on day and night, and now its over.
My room is a mess - notes lying around, dirty glasses, coffee cups, uneaten food, dropped food.....
Looks like a war-zone - like people came over for 2 days, rocked on, and left.... destroying everything in sight..... the waste has been an invitation to ants, and cockroaches (we saw a cockroach in the room yesterday !!)

the fun's over though, the people have gone, and my roomie and I are now cleaning up.....

20 years down the line, when I look back at life at IIT, and all my courses...... this will be the 1 memory that will dominate....

8 girls, crowding in a small hostel room - on the beds, chairs, on the floor.... listening intently to a voice on the speakers....
falling asleep ... being woken up ... giggling at the sidey jokes, complaining bout the _stupid_ course, ..... sharing a room, almost sharing a life.... for those 2 days atleast....

1 endsem down...
4 more to go.....
For now, its back to cleaning though......

2 comments:

  1. classy.. always did think i should have recorded my profs lectures..
    i can only imagine what happened :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thats me btw.. forgot to sign off

    SEV

    ReplyDelete