Friday, December 15, 2006

My Mumma

When I close my eyes and think of her, I first see her smile. Smiling, laughing, eyes crinkling up - her whole face glows when she smiles.

A whole lot of memories flash by :
- Mom cooking daal and rice in the kitchen, and Jisha and I sitting on the floor cutting tomatoes slowly slowly for the gravy, fussing about trying to cut the perfect square pieces without making a BIG mess.
- Mom singing Hanuman chalisa while cooking - even now, hanuman chalisa makes me think of food and mom :)
- Mom waking me up at 6:15 am, so she could make my ponytails for school and then go to work at 6:20.
- Mom shouting at us for not cleaning the room, for not changing out of our uniforms after coming back from school, for not washing our white canvas shoes on Thursday and Sunday, for not washing our hair on Thursday.
- Mom and us in Esselworld, in the cups and saucers ride .... mom telling us, keep laughing and you won't get scared. And you know what, we kept laughing and really didn't get scared.
- Mom taking us to Ganga Vihar and Vijay Vihar for dinner after a hard days work.
- Mom shouting at me for reading too many novels. :)) But getting me a library subscription anyways :)
- Mom buying me my birthday dress. And making me cake. And putting up balloons and calling the neighbours over for my budday party.
- Mom taking care of me when I am sick. Patting my forehead, pressing my legs, giving me medicine.
- Mom taking me to my first parlor visit to get my legs waxed for a big school function.
- Mom making tea for me, giving me hot food when I am studying.
- Mom making us do jhaadu-pocha as punishment when we were naughty and the servant had bunked :))
- Mom exercising to the Spice Girls album in her yellow tee. :)
- Mom putting oil in my hair and trying to get rid of the lice when I got them at school :( - I was given a bribe of one 5-star for each day that I let her pull the lice out of my hair - imagine !! she had to bribe me for letting her help me !
- Mom treating us to bhelpuri and sandwich and mysore masala dosa in her college.
- Mom walking to Shivaji Park, and us walking along, and having lassi later at the Aarey milk store.
- Mom telling me to sleep on time the night before an exam, and me trying to stay awake the whole night cause I hadn't finished studying :)

Mom laughing, mom teaching, mom cooking, mom feeding, mom taking care ....

Miss you mom here... Have a wonderful wonderful birthday !

6 comments:

  1. I have very very little to say in this vein. But I do remember the college peon's daily trips to the broker, the malpuas and the pakodas, and of course, the food and cakes that I have eaten myeslf.

    Happy Birthday Aunty.

    Would've loved some home cooked food today. And I would've helped with the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very very sweetly written :)
    so very true of moms :)
    happy birthday to aunty!

    ~meghanaK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, and belated wishes to your mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice way to wish on a birthday, but you should have ordered them in chronological order.

    by the way, reminded me of stuff my mom did

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post! A belated happy birthday to ur mom :)

    -Praj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post :) Belated wishes to your mom.

    >>mom telling us, keep laughing and you won't get scared. And you know what, we kept laughing and really didn't get scared.
    nice advice... i didn't know!

    ReplyDelete